ERA launches BELLUS fund for Environmental Projects
The Environment and Resources Authority (ERA) recently launched a €500,000 fund for environmental projects. The fund, called BELLUS – Better Environment in our Local Urban Spaces – aims to bring nature back to urban, rural and maritime areas in Malta through green initiatives and nature-based solutions.
The BELLUS fund is open to public entities, voluntary organisations and educational institutions. The fund will cover 100% of eligible costs, with €50,000 to €100,000 allocated per project. Bigger projects may cover the rest of the budget through other funds.
The target projects are:
- Green-Blue infrastructure initiatives, such as permeable pathways and rubble walls;
- Removal of hard paving and replacement with soil;
- Removal of invasive alien species and replacement with native indigenous flora;
- Setting up neighbourhood gardens to be managed by residents;
- Forestation using native indigenous flora;
- Conservation and restoration projects in sensitive natural areas close to urban areas; and
- Communication, education, public awareness and citizen science activities in line with the above target projects.
The closing date for submission of applications is 30th September 2021 at noon. The application should include relevant permits and assessments for the project.
Please do get in touch with us should you need support to develop your ideas, prepare the funding application (including applying for permits and carrying out an assessment) or implement your project.
Uploaded on 16th July 2021.
Posted in Communications